Two U.S. military officials say they believe tens of thousands of troops should remain in Afghanistan and admit some technical flaws during the to leave a mess about the armies from the country.
In a statement to the Senate Armed Forces Committee on Tuesday, Mark Milley, co-chair of the co-operative supervisor, and Frank McKenzie, the US military commander in the region, all expressed their disagreement with the idea. President Joe Biden took all the troops to their deadline on September 11.
“My guess is that 2,500 was the right number to stay, and if we went down the line we could probably see the collapse of the Afghan government and the Afghan army,” McKenzie said in a statement, in Milley’s statement.
He did not provide the instructions that Bidid secretly provided. Responding on August 18 with ABC News following the fall of Kabul, Biden said “no one has said that for me I remember” after the accusation that his military advisers had recommended the retention of 2,500 troops.
The departure of Biden’s security forces from Afghanistan has caused tensions between countries, with the Taliban regaining control as 13 U.S. military personnel and more than 100 Afghan civilians were killed.
Biden defended his decision, criticizing Afghan security forces for failing to fight and described the evacuation of more than 120,000 people in a few days as “extraordinary success”.
Milley described the relocation as a force to be reckoned with, but said all military outcomes had “failed”. He also admitted that the military authorities did not notice the rapid collapse of the Afghan government as the troops left.
“[W]we have completely missed the 11-day collapse of the Afghan army, the collapse of their government, “he said.
Milley said it was probably a mistake to want to train and equip the Afghan army in what was “a mirror image” of the US military, which made the Afghan army “more reliant on technology.[and]our ability ”.
He added that the departure of US advisers three years earlier had also hampered US access to Afghanistan’s security services. “You cannot test the human heart with a machine; you have to be there, ”he said.
Milley also responded by denouncing two calls that he had told his Chinese counterpart to warn them if the US was planning a coup in the days of Trump’s administration, according to a new book, Danger, Author Bob Woodward and Robert Costa. Milley admitted to talking to Woodward and other people writing books about Trump’s administration.
Critics said Milley’s summons to China disrupted the presidency and led the military.
He added that the entire show, on October 30 and January 8, was made with “spy-related” indications that Beijing was concerned that the United States would attack them, claiming that they had been given more responsibility.
“I believe President Trump did not want to attack the Chinese,” he told the Senate. “My job then was growing. My messages were also consistent: ‘Be patient, steadfast, and do not climb. We are not fighting ‘. ”